In order to store meta data Hive can use any of the below three strategies
Hive – Metastore – Embedded
- Mainly used for unit tests
- Only one process is allowed to connect to the metastore at a time
- Hive metadata is stored in an embedded Apache Derby database
Hive – Metastore – Local
- Metadata is stored in some other database like MySQL
- Hive Client will open the connection to datastore and make Hive queries against it
Hive – Metastore – Remote
- All Hive Clients make a connection to the metastore serverand server queries the datastore for metadata.
- Metastore server and clients will communicate using Thrift protocol.